This course deals with the principles of bioclimatic building design at the urban level. It emphasizes on the elements of micro- and macro climates and their effects on building design and the planning of urban settlements and vice verse. Principles of passive design systems and their application towards achieving comfort and efficiency with special reference to the humid tropics are emphasized. It also provides the students some hands-on experience in conducting experiments and the use of simulation tools to discover the impacts of climatology on the building design.
- To appreciate the principles of bioclimatic building design at the urban level.
- To develop an understanding of climate and its effects on building design and vice verse.
- To explore appropriate architectural responses to climate in the interest of occupant comfort and conservation of resources.
- To introduce techniques and tools for climatic analysis and building design
- To discuss the climate-related problems of buildings in Singapore and their rectification.