The principal aims of this course are as follows:
(1) To provide a broad, but also detailed, consideration of the main elements of maritime law and, in particular, a framework for many of the problems which may be encountered in practice.
(2) To underline intellectual skills already acquired, such as initiative, critical reflection, the ability to identify and solve problems, and the ability to engage in lateral thinking (such as seeing connections between topics in the course and with other substantive areas of the law already studied).
(3) To enhance communication skills, inter alia through further practice at marshalling arguments and presenting them orally (and in writing) in a clear and effective way.
(4) To further enhance organisational skills, such as self-direction, self-discipline, and the ability to take the initiative.
(5) To enhance and encourage research skills and to encourage writing and presentation skills.