PHARMACOGENETICS AND DRUG RESPONSES
2016/2017, Semester 1
Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine (Pharmacology)
Modular Credits: 4
This module deals with the essential mechanisms that underlie variability in clinical drug response. The bases for this variability may be genetic (pharmacogenetic, epigenetic), or non-genetic (environmental). The module stresses understanding and applications rather than reproduction of facts. Students are encouraged to apply principles learned, and to use these to discover and solve problems associated with variable drug response.
1. Remembering and understanding the basic physiological and biochemical mechanisms that mediate drug response
2. Remembering and understanding basic pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics
3. Remembering and understanding how genetic and non-genetic mechanisms affect drug response variability
4. Applying these concepts to understand how populations/ethnicities can be defined and may differ from each other
5. Analyzing pharmacokinetic data sets to determine sources of drug response variability
6. Evaluating experimental approaches to identify sources of drug response variability
7. Creating a clinical experiment to study drug response variability, and then to recommend appropriate clinical response to personalize or optimize therapy
LSM3211 / LSM3221 or equivalent
e-learning where possible
: MONDAYS & THURSDAYS
TIME: 12.00-1400 hrs
Continualassessment - mid semester
Workload Components : A-B-C-D-E
A: no. of lecture hours per week
B: no. of tutorial hours per week
C: no. of lab hours per week
D: no. of hours for projects, assignments, fieldwork etc per week
E: no. of hours for preparatory work by a student per week
You are ancouraged to be attentive and actively participate in the classroom teaching because the module emphasizes understanding rather than rote learning. Reviewing lecture materials after each class is useful so that you make sure you can understand the principles discussed. There will be no webcasts of the lectures. Instead, the powerpoint slide notes will have appended 'explanatory notes'. If there is anything that you miss or find difficulty in understanding please contact me at email@example.com so that I can clarify. I will try and respond within 24hours. If I fail to do so please feel free to resend your question.
It is recommend that you form study groups to review the lessons as that the group discussions reinforce principles and help ensure you do not develop any fundamental mistakes in the reasoning.
Above all, learning should be interesting and fun.