Know the major classes of drugs used for asthma
Understand the mechanisms of action of these drug classes
Recognize the major adverse effects/drug interactions of these drug classes
Describe the strategies for drug treatment of asthma
1. List the three major classes of bronchodilator: b-adrenoceptor agonists , theophylline, and
2. Compare and discuss the mechanisms of action, clinical efficacies, pharmacokinetics, routes of administration, and adverse effects of each class of bronchodilator.
3. Discuss the role of ipratopium in the treatment of airway obstruction.
4. List the three major classes of controller drugs for airway obstruction: cromolyn/nedocromil, inhaled steroids, leukotriene receptor antagonist and anti-IgE monoclonal antibody.
6. Compare and discuss the mechanisms of action, clinical efficacies, pharamcokinetics, route of administration, and adverse effects of each class of preventer drugs.
7. List the commonly used inhaled steroids.