||5th September 2018
||Nutrition Obesity & Cardiovascular Disease
||Story M., et al. Creating Healthy Food and Eating Environments: Policy and Environmental Approaches. Annu. Rev. Public Health (2008), 29:253-272
||Mozzafarian D, et al. Population approaches to improve diet, physical activity, and smoking habits: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2012 (pls see library e-reserves)
|12th September 2018
||What Makes Communicable Diseases so Special?
||Jones K, Patel NG, Levy M, Storeygard A, Balk D, Gittleman J, Daszak. Global trends in emerging infectious diseases. Nature. 2008. Feb; 451: 990-994.
||19th September 2018
||Wee Hwee Lin
||Drug Resistant infections
||1) Howard S, Hopwood S, Davies, SC. Antimicrobial Resistance: A global challenge. Science Translational Medicine 2014, May 14; 6(236): 236 ed10. (DOI: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3009315)
2) Allcock S, Young EH, Holmes M, Gurdasani D, Dougan G, Sandhu MS, Solomon L and Torok ME. Antimicrobial resistance in human populations: challenges and opportunities. Global Health, Epidemiology and Genomics 2017, 2(e4): 1-7.
||3rd October 2018
||Breast Cancer: Epidemiological Methods & Risk Factors
||Epidemiology is... pp. 1-28 . In Essential Epidemiology: An Introduction for Students and Health Professionals, 2nd ed. 2010
||10th October 2018
||Sri Chander s/o Tikamdas Nebhraj
||Maternal & Child Health
||1) Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFrGxEp-UU "Why Did Mrs. X Die? Retold"
2) Read: Towards A New Global Strategy For Women’s, Children’s And Adolescents’ Health
BMJ 351:Suppl1. 2015: Pages 1-3
3) Multi-sectoral approaches to nutrition: Nutrition-specific and Nutrition-sensitive interventions to accelerate progress. UNICEF bulletin. (https://www.unicef.org/eapro/Brief_Nutrition_Overview.pdf)
|MDGs 4 & 5: Nepal Country Profile (two readings)
||17th October 2018
||1) Mengling Feng and Kee-Yuan Ngiam, How AI can aid healthcare, Today, 8th Sep 2017.
2) Peek, Niels, Carlo Combi, Roque Marin, and Riccardo Bellazzi. "Thirty years of artificial intelligence in medicine (AIME) conferences: A review of research themes." Artificial intelligence in medicine 65, no. 1 (2015): 61-73.
|Machine Bias: https://www.propublica.org/article/machine-bias-risk-assessments-in-criminal-sentencing
||24th October 2018
||1) Zimmern RL, Khoury, MJ. The impact of genomics on public health practice: the case for change. Public Health Genomics 2012;15:118–124
2) Burton H, Jackson C, Abubakar I. The impact of genomics on public health practice. British Medical Bulletin, Dec 2014; 112(1): 37-46.
||31st October 2018
||Executive summary of: United Nations. World Population Ageing: 1950-2050. 2002. Available at http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/worldageing19502050/
||7th November 2018
||1) Stuifbergen AK, Morris M, Jung JH, Pierini D, Morgan S. Benefits of wellness interventions for persons with chronic and disabling conditions: a review of the evidence. Disabil Health J. 2010 Jul;3(3):133-45.
2) Krahn GL, Walker DK, Correa-De-Araujo R. Persons with disabilities as an unrecognized health disparity population. Am J Public Health. 2015 Apr;105 Suppl 2:S198-206.
|Kostanjsek N, Good A, Madden RH, Üstün TB, Chatterji S, Mathers CD, Officer A. Counting disability: global and national estimation. Disabil Rehabil. 2013 Jun;35(13):1065-9.