INTRODUCTION TO PEDAGOGY
2014/2015, Semester 1
Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music (Yong Siew Toh Conservatory Of Music)
Modular Credits: 3
1. Student will be able to demonstrate teaching skills when conducting a group class for beginners.
2. Student will be able to apply principles of different pedagogues on young individual beginners in the group project.
3. Student will be able to assign appropriate method books based on the age and level of understanding of the individual student.
4. Student will be able to analyze and apply appropriate techniques to introduce musicianship to make learning music easier for beginners.
5. Student will be able to articulate their ideas and interpretation of repertoires through discussions during masterclasses for advanced students.
This module is a pedagogy class for all instrumental/composition majors. The course emphasize on 3 aspects: understanding of 4 major pedagogues, introduction to basic teaching etiquettes and workshop skills.
The course introduces students to various approaches to teaching music to young children like Dalcroze, Carl Orff, Kodaly and Suzuki. Discussion on the four different methodologies will be held before giving instructions to use the methodologies to teach certain terms like tempo, articulation, dynamics, solfege, etc. It focuses on promoting creativity and developing the skills needed to be successful in teaching elementary students. They are required to develop interesting educational games that will be presented to a group of young children for their final project.
For the teaching aspect, students are required to show 2 teaching videos using facebook account created for the class, upload their teaching video and get feedbacks and reviews from their peers. They are required to show one video-teaching of a young children and one teaching adult beginners.
Each student is required to conduct a 15-20 min lesson of an advanced student of the same instrument. Students will be able to have an exchange of opinions and interpretation of music during these sessions.
20% Presentations and pop quizzes on 4 different methodologies: Kodaly (5%), Suzuki (5%), Orff (5%) and Dalcroze (5%)
20% Group project
30% Teaching demonstration
1. One 15-mins video teaching to be uploaded onto Facebook created for the class
2. One 15-min professional teaching video upload
3. One 15-20 min masterclass video/live
20% Minimum 2-page paper (500 words) on teaching reflection
Write a minimum 2-page paper on your teaching reflection. Questions to think about includes:
1.What have you learned from this teaching experience?
2. What are some of your strength and weaknesses?
3. What could you have done to improve on your teaching?