COLLECTION, MANAGEMENT & ANALYSIS OF QUANTITATIVE DATA
2014/2015, Semester 1
Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health (Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health)
Modular Credits: 4
This module is an introduction to management and data analysis of quantitative surveys in public health research, with strong emphasis on acquiring hands-on experience for handling public health data with the STATA software. It will cover essential concepts such as sampling and design of questionnaires as well as practical components such as data storage, management, and basic statistical analysis of the questionnaire data. Upon completion, the student will be able to:
1. Implement a workflow of data analysis that manages all aspects of quantitative data analysis.
2. Design basic quantitative questionnaires and questions.
3. Identify types and sources of errors in quantitative surveys.
4. Understand the measurement properties in quantitative survey questionnaires.
5. Perform sampling and conduct a quantitative survey.
6. Analyze data collected from a quantitative survey.
Lectures, tutorials, computer laboratory, workshops and projects.
This module runs on Thursdays at 9am-12nn starting on 14 Aug 14.
Topics covered are:
1. Workflow of data collection, management and analysis in quantitative surveys.
2. Writing and debugging do files in STATA.
3. Automating the workflow in STATA.
4. Cleaning data for data analysis.
5. Designing and conducting of quantitative questionnaires.
6. Analyzingquantitative survey data.
Tutorials/Seminars (class participation) : 10%
Project 1: Data Management: 20%
Project 2: Design Questionnaire (groupwork): 20%
Project 3: Survey Analysis:20%
Total CA components: 100%
Workload Components : A-B-C-D-E
A: no. of lecture hours per week
B: no. of tutorial hours per week
C: no. of lab hours per week
D: no. of hours for projects, assignments, fieldwork etc per week
E: no. of hours for preparatory work by a student per week