COLLECTION, MANAGEMENT & ANALYSIS OF QUANTITATIVE DATA
2018/2019, Semester 2
Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health (Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health)
Modular Credits: 4
This module runs on Tuesdays at 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm, starting on 15 January 2019.
This module is an introduction to collection, management and data analysis of quantitative surveys in public health research, with strong emphasis on acquiring hands-on experience for handling public health data with the databases and STATA It will cover essential concepts such as sampling and design of questionnaires as well as practical components such as data storage, management, and basic statistical analysis of the questionnaire data.
Upon completion, the student will be able to:
1. Implement a workflow of data analysis that manages all aspects of quantitative data analysis.
2. Design basic quantitative questionnaires and questions.
3. Identify types and sources of errors in quantitative surveys.
4. Understand the measurement properties in quantitative survey questionnaires.
5. Perform sampling and conduct a quantitative survey.
6. Analyze data collected from a quantitative survey.
Lectures, workshops, discussions, project work, group work.
Topics covered are:
1. Workflow of data collection, management and analysis in quantitative surveys.
2. Writing and debugging do files in STATA.
3. Automating the workflow in STATA.
4. Cleaning data for data analysis.
5. Designing and conducting of quantitative questionnaires.
6. Analyzing quantitative survey data.
7. Using databases for capturing and storing data.
Class Participation: 10%
Group work on designing questionnaire : 22.5%
Individual project on data management 1: 22.5%
Individual project on data management 2: 22.5%
Individual project on survey analysis : 22.5%
Total CA: 100%