In TIC2601, students are to learn about relational database concepts and techniques, and apply them in building a web application with a database backend.
The activities in the module include: lectures, tutorials, a mid-term test, a project and a final exam.
- Lectures: The lectures introduce students to database-related concepts and techniques, as well as some basic techniques for building a web application with a database backend. Most of the lectures are conducted with activities in which students are required to work on some exercises, try their hands on using some software or even do some coding.
- Tutorials: For most of the tutorials, students are to work on the tutorial quesitons before the session, and then present and discuss their solutions. In addition, some of the tutorials will be used for project consultations / presentations so the students in the same project team should attend the same tutorial group.
- Mid-term Test: There will be a mid-term test in Week 6 during lecture. It covers all the topics introduced from Week 1 to Week 4.
- Project: The project is a web-based application with a database backend, done in a team of 5 students. Students may choose one of the 5 proposed project topics or create their own. Any tech stack with a relational database backend can be used as long as the students are able to demonstrate a good understanding of relational database concepts and techniques. All teams are required to present and demo their project at the end of the semester (Week 12 or Week 13)
- Final Exam: The final exam covers all the topics with a focus on the ones introduced from Week 5 onwards.