COLLECTION, MANAGEMENT & ANALYSIS OF QUANTITATIVE DATA
2016/2017, Semester 2
Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health (Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health)
Modular Credits: 4
This module is an introduction to management and data analysis of quantitative surveys in public health research, with strong emphasis on acquiring hands-on experience for handling public health data with the STATA software. It will cover essential concepts such as sampling and design of questionnaires as well as practical components such as data storage, management, and basic statistical analysis of the questionnaire data. Upon completion, the student will be able to:
1. Implement a workflow of data analysis that manages all aspects of quantitative data analysis.
2. Design basic quantitative questionnaires and questions.
3. Identify types and sources of errors in quantitative surveys.
4. Understand the measurement properties in quantitative survey questionnaires.
5. Perform sampling and conduct a quantitative survey.
6. Analyze data collected from a quantitative survey.
Lectures, tutorials, computer laboratory, workshops and projects.
This module runs on Tuesdays at 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm, starting on 10 January 2017.
Topics covered are:
1. Workflow of data collection, management and analysis in quantitative surveys.
2. Writing and debugging do files in STATA.
3. Automating the workflow in STATA.
4. Cleaning data for data analysis.
5. Designing and conducting of quantitative questionnaires.
6. Analyzing quantitative survey data.
Class Participation : 10%
Group work on designing questionnaire : 30%
Individual assignment on data management : 30%
Individual assignment on survey analysis : 30%
Total CA: 100%