1. Mode of Teaching. The class will be a three-hour interactive discussion class in which I will lead a discussion on the assigned topic. There will be 10 minute break mid-way through the session. Particular Students will be assigned to lead the discussion in particular classes and to make written submissions on the topic in advance of the class. I will facilitate the discussion, but the students are expected to present their views on the issues when asked, and to ask and respond to questions from me and from other students in the class. All students in the class are expected to read the materials and to participate in the discussion. The discussion in class will be pitched a level which assumes that everyone in the class has read the materials and thought about the issues for discussion. It is expected that students who have not done the readings will find it extremely difficult to follow the discussion.
2. Class attendance is considered compulsory. I will expect every student in the class to attend every class and to be prepared for every class. To make it easier for me to take attendance, you will be asked to choose a seat during the first class and to sit in that same seat for every class. If for you are not able to attend a particular a class because of extenuating circumstances, you are expected to notify me in advance via email and give reasons for your absence. If you are unable to do the readings for a particular class because of extenuating circumstances, you are also expected to notify me in advance via email and give reasons why you were not able to prepare.
3. Class participation. 50% of your grade will be determined by class performance. You will be assessed primarily for your performance during the classes in which you are asked to lead the discussion. However, you will also be assessed for your overall contributions to all of the class discussions. In addition, class performance grades will be reduced for any students who are late for classes without a legitimate excuse, who fail to sit in their assigned seat, who fail to attend classes without a legitimate excuse, or who are not prepared for discussion classes. Finally, any student with more than two unexcused absences from class will receive zero marks for class performance.
4. Discussion Forum. I will create a Discussion Forum for the class. Contributions to the forum discussions will be taken into account in determining the class performance marks.
5. Topics. Each class will focus on a particular topic or topics. The readings for each topic will be uploaded into a Workbin Folder for that topic. If the reading is from the internet and is not uploaded into the folder, the Internet URL to the reading will be listed in the Lesson
6. Links to Web sites. I will list the most important web sites dealing with maritime security issues on the IVLE page for the course. This should prove useful for further reading.
7. Use of IVLE. I will use the IVLE to make announcements concerning the course, especially if there is a need to deviate from the assigned lesson plan, etc. Therefore, students are expected to check their email and the IVLE announcements regularly.