OPERATIONS STRATEGY PAPER
· Your paper should address an important topic in operations strategy that is of interest to you.
· You may chose to investigate and write on a problem or topic that is important to you and your current (or past) employer – a “practical” topic is fine.
· Possible topics include (but are not limited to) any of the topics or areas covered in class, but must have a strong focus on the strategic use of operations to win competitive advantage.
PAPER DEADLINES AND SUBMISSION
· Turn in a ~1 page paper proposal midway through the course (see course calendar for date) that generally describes the topic you are investigating. This is only a quality control check to verify that students are on track with their projects. Feedback will be provided, but the proposal will not be graded.
· On the last day of class (see course calendar), turn in the final printed copy of your paper.
· The paper should be no more 3.000 words (about 10 pages of text) plus exhibits, figures, charts, and appendices
· The paper should include a 1-page Executive Summary that summarizes the main points of the paper (not included in the word count)
· Here is a possible outline for the paper (change as needed):
o Cover Sheet (required)
o Executive Summary (required)
o Table of Contents (optional)
o Body of Paper (probably 2-3 sections)
o Conclusions, Summary, Future Directions
o Reference List (required)
o Appendices (optional)
· Use section headings, subheadings, lists, and other formatting devices to help organize your paper.
· Print out your paper single-sided in either B&W or color (it doesn’t matter)
· There is no need to put the paper in a binder or cover; a single staple in the upper left corner is preferred.