INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN HEALTHCARE
2018/2019, Semester 2
Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health (Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health)
Modular Credits: 4
This module will run from
Mon-Fri, 7-11 Jan 2019
at 9am to 5pm.
To equip students with Information Technology(IT) knowledge for use in project management and procurement.
Upon completion of the module, students will:
1. Know how IT is used in healthcare
2. Understand workflow and standards in healthcare IT
3. Propose an IT solution for a business need
4. Design and evaluate healthcare IT products according to usability standards.
5. Conduct requirements gathering
6. Rapid prototype solutions for acceptance
7. Foresee and overcome challenges in deploying IT in healthcare.
Lectures, workshops, discussions, project work, groupwork, tests.
Students will learn about IT systems in health & how patient data flows across systems and institutions in order to provide & optimise continuous care.
1. Computerized Provider Order Entry.
2. Clinical Decision Support.
3. Medication Reconciliation.
4. National Electronic Health Record.
5, Other considerations in health IT will also be covered, such as Improving Quality & Safety, Change Management, Telehealth, Healthcare IT standards, Security & Usability.
Class Participation - 20%
Group project/ presentation - 40%
Individual Assignment - 40%
Total - 100%.CA
As attached in course material.
1. Meaningful Use and Beyond. Fred Trotter, David Uhlman.
2. The Innovator's Prescription: A Disruptive Solution for Health Care. Clayton M. Christensen.
3. How Doctors Think. Jerome Goopman.