The module covers the basic principles relating to scientific modes of inquiry and research methodologies. It also covers the fundamental quantitative tools that are needed to undertake research in project and facilities management. Major topics include statistics, survey, case study, experimental studies, decision analysis, risk analysis and sensitivity analysis.
- At the completion of this module, students should be equipped with critical thinking and able to identify good questions in the PFM domain.
- Students should be able to search, review, comment, compare and summarize the academic literature for a given topic.
- Students should have a deep understanding of various research methods that can be used to investigate questions encountered in the PFM, i.e. survey and case study.
- Students should know the important data processing and analytical skills, i.e. statistical tests, regression analysis.
- Students should be able to write research reports in the appropriate format.
- Students be able to establish a good research framework for a given question, and know how to execute the research proposal.