There are no final written in-class examinations for this seminar. The primary material product of the seminar will be an individual research paper, on a subject of your choice. The research paper should be based on independent work, guided by the course convenor. Your choice of topic must have the concurrence of the course convenor, and should preferably be related to the issues explored in the course.
You should seek to identify this subject as early as possible and discuss options with the course convenor. To assist students, an indicative list of topics will be suggested during the course. Once agreed, the subject should not be changed without the agreement of the course convenor.
In preparation for the writing of your assignment, you are to prepare an outline of your intended paper. This would be expected to about three (3) pages of notes and headings, setting out the main questions you will address and your hypothesis. You will be asked to present your main points to the class and convenor. Your presentation would be for approximately 10 minutes, with a further 10 minutes for questions and comments posed by fellow classmates and/or the course convenor. This outline should be posted to the Forum of the IVLE site for online discussion.
Your forum contributions, class participation, outline paper and your presentation of your outline paper will account for 25% of your final mark. The final research paper will count for the remaining 75% of the marks. The guideline for this final paper is 5,000, with an upper limit of 7,500 words. You are invited to use the Journal of International Economic Law’s housestyle (see http://www.oxfordjournals.org/our_journals/jielaw/for_authors/stylesheet_2.pdf) though any consistent housestyle is acceptable. Your final paper indicating your name and matriculation number must then be handed in by by uploading the soft copy to the IVLE workbin folder entitled Student Papers. Please note that marks will be deducted for late submission.