||31st August 2018
||Rob van Dam
||Nutrition Obesity & Cardiovascular Disease
||Story M., et al. Creating Healthy Food and Eating Environments: Policy and Environmental Approaches. Annu. Rev. Public Health (2008), 29:253-272
||Mozzafarian D, et al. Population approaches to improve diet, physical activity, and smoking habits: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2012 (pls see library e-reserves)
||7th September 2018
||1) Chong SA, Vaingankar J, Abdin E, Subramaniam M. The prevalence and impact of major depressive disorder among Chinese, Malays and Indians in an Asian multi-racial population. J Affect Disord. 2012 Apr;138(1-2):128-36.
2) Subramaniam M, Abdin E, Picco L, et al. Stigma towards people with mental disorders and its components – a perspective from multi-ethnic Singapore. Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci.2016:1‒12
3) Pang S, Liu J, Mahesh M, Chua BY, Shahwan S, Lee SP, Vaingankar JA, Abdin E, Fung DSS, Chong SA, Subramaniam M. Stigma among Singaporean youth: a cross-sectional study on adolescent attitudes towards serious mental illness and social tolerance in a multiethnic population. BMJ Open. 2017 Oct 16;7(10):e016432.
||14th September 2018
||Lim Boon Tar Raymond
||HIV Prevention Education
||1) Rotheram-Borus MJ, Swendeman D, Chovnick G. The past, present, and future of HIV prevention: Integrating behavioural, biomedical, and structural intervention strategies for the next generation of HIV prevention. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 2009;5:143-67.
2) Wong ML, Sen P, Wong CM, Tjahjadi S, Govender M, Koh TT, Yusof Z, Chew L, Tan A, Vijaya K. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) prevention education in Singapore: Challenges for the future. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2012.
||21st September 2018
||Ooi Eng-Eong, et al. Dengue Prevention and 35 years of vector control in Singapore. Emerg Infect Dis 2006 Jun; 12(6): 887-893 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3373041/)
||5th October 2018
||What Makes Communicable Diseases so Special?
||Jones K, Patel NG, Levy M, Storeygard A, Balk D, Gittleman J, Daszak. Global trends in emerging infectious diseases. Nature. 2008. Feb; 451: 990-994.
||12th October 2018
||Seow Wei Jie
||SM Rappaport, MT Smith. Environment and disease risks. Science 2010. 330: 460-461
||19th October 2018
||Sri Chander s/o Tikamdas Nebhraj
||Maternal & Child Health
||1) Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFrGxEp-UU "Why Did Mrs. X Die? Retold"
2) Read: Towards A New Global Strategy For Women’s, Children’s And Adolescents’ Health
BMJ 351:Suppl1. 2015: Pages 1-3
3) Multi-sectoral approaches to nutrition: Nutrition-specific and Nutrition-sensitive interventions to accelerate progress. UNICEF bulletin. (https://www.unicef.org/eapro/Brief_Nutrition_Overview.pdf)
|MDGs 4 & 5: Nepal Country Profile (two readings)
||26th October 2018
||Lee Jeong Kyu
||Social Marketing: Principles and Applications
||ANDREASEN AR (1994) Social marketing: Its definition and domain, Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 13(1), 108-114
||EVANS WD , PRICE S & BLAHUT S (2005) Evaluating the truth® Brand, Journal of Health Communication, 10:2, 181-192, DOI: 10.1080/10810730590915137
||2nd November 2018
||Executive summary of: United Nations. World Population Ageing: 1950-2050. 2002. Available at http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/worldageing19502050/
||9th November 2018
||Health in/and Society
||Conrad, P. and Barker, K. K. (2010). “The Social Construction of Illness: Key Insights and Policy Implications”, Journal of Health and Social Behavior 51(S), S67-S79.
||Michael C. McNeill & Joan M. Fry (2010). “Physical Education and Health in Singapore Schools”, Asia-Pacific Journal of Health, Sport and Physical Education, 1(1), 13-18.