FUNDAMENTALS OF FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
2014/2015, Semester 2
School of Design and Environment (Building)
Modular Credits: 4
This foundational module covers the breadth and underpinnings of Facilities Management (FM) related to Definitions, Terminologies and Taxonomies, Roles for Facility Managers, FM related Strategy & Planning, Stakeholders, Space Management, Asset Management, Maintenance, Workplace Productivity, Ergonomics, Software in FM, In-House vs. Outsourcing, Service Providers and Supplier Relationships, Contract Management & Financials, Health & Safety, Benchmarking of Best Practices and Trends for the Future. The tone and mode of the teaching is such that the students get a holistic view - not only a theoretical understanding of FM but is continuously supported by real world anecdotes and examples and lectures by leading industry SMEs (Subject Matter Experts).
Minimal - need to understand the basics of how abuiolding operates ( common sense )
• This course will be a Lecture and Tutorial Format.
• 1 Lecture every Week and 1 Tutorial every 2 weeks.
• There will be 6 Tutorial Groups which will have a Tutorial Every Other Week.
• It is expected that ALL students will attend the Lectures and Tutorials
• There will be no specific text book - My Lecture Notes (PPT) will be sufficient for the entire course
Lectures on Thursdays
Tutorials on alternate Tuesdays and Thursdays
Workload Components : A-B-C-D-E
A: no. of lecture hours per week
B: no. of tutorial hours per week
C: no. of lab hours per week
D: no. of hours for projects, assignments, fieldwork etc per week
E: no. of hours for preparatory work by a student per week