IDEAS AND APPROACHES IN DESIGN
2009/2010, Semester 1
School of Design and Environment (Architecture)
Modular Credits: 4
This module provides an introduction to some of the basic concepts and approaches to design as a creative practice and as an academic discipline. It also highlights the nature and historical development of design, especially with respect to "ideas" and “approaches” in industrial design, architecture and urban design.
1 Imbue the knowledge of design as a necessary and distinctive human activity replete with ideas, social contexts and intellectual processes.
2 Introduce industrial design, architecture and urban design through some of its basic concepts such as “periods,” “styles,” “language,” etc.
3 Encourage an active and a critical approach to analyzing the design and the artifices.
4 Show the relevance of design in contemporary and immediate real-life problem sets like sustainability, subjectivity, identity, meanings, etc.
There is a FINAL sit-down examination. This accounts for 60% of the course grade. The remaining 40% is determined from tutorial submissions & attendance/presentation, and individual assignments; the breakdown is as follows:
60% Final sit-down examination
15% Group Work Assignment + participation
15% Individual Essay Assignment
10% Reflection Essay