Thanks for taking the time to help us trial the Clinical Ethics OSCE Training programme. An OSCE station with a strong clinical ethics focus will be introduced as part of the Final MBBS exams soon. We have therefore developed this programme to help prepare for it. The programme also serves as a platform for reflecting on clinical ethics in general. So, through this programme, we hope you can:
- Gain insight into the process of a clinical ethics OSCE station by watching video clips of mock performances (Note that these are enactments and do not in any way reflect the competences of the examinees)
- Understand the assessment process by taking the role of an examiner and critically consider the performance of two examinees
- Develop your ability to address ethical issues that arise during doctor-patient encounters by reflecting on your learning needs pertaining to the competencies demonstrated in the performances and the comments of experts
How to Trial the Programme
The programme will require you to watch 2 video clips and do 3 short survey - a pre-test, a post-test and a general feedback - under this module: Clinical Ethics OSCE Training (OTH674). It will take approximately an hour for you to complete it.
To trial the programme,
(1) Click on "Survey" at the left hand side of this webpage. Click on the icon and then do a pre-test that evaluates your knowledge on some ethical and legal aspects of two doctor-patient scenarios - issuing medical certificates and getting minor's assent.
(2) After completing this pre-test, click on "Video 1". Under "Objective and Instructions", there will be a link to watch a video clip of a mock OSCE performance under the scenario title "Falsification of MC."
* Type in your NUS username (nusstu/_______) and password if prompted for access to the video.
(3) While watching this video, you will mark the mock examinee's performance using a checklist. Please read the checklist items first as this will make your marking easier.
(4) After calculating and typing in your total marks, please click on "submit checklist".
(5) You can then (i) compare your scoring with those of experienced examiners, (ii) review experts' comments on the performances and (iii) read the rationale behind some of the checklist items. (Please ignore the instructions stated at the bottom of the link)
(6) After reviewing the marks and commentaries, please click on "Video 2" and proceed to view the second OSCE performance under the scenario title "Minor's Assent." Repeat steps (3), (4) and (5).
(7) After this, proceed to complete the post-test.
(8) After the post-test, please do the general feedback survey to help us improve the program.
We hope you enjoy the process, and that the program will help you prepare for OSCEs with clinical ethics focus.
Thank you very much!